U.S. residents can opt to place gold or other precious metals into an Individual Retirement Account, or rollover a 401(k).
These services are often offered thru A Gold IRA company, and assets are held with a Gold IRA Custodian. This is where you can find the gold, silver and other precious metals for purchase/investment. The Custodian will only hold the assets, not find or recommend assets for purchase.
Here are a list of the top Gold IRA companies (in no particular order).
- Regal Assets www.regalassets.com $250 per year flat-rate
- Capital Gold Group www.startwithgold.com $320 per year flat-rate
- American Bullion Inc www.americanbullion.com $160 per year flat-rate
- Morgan Gold www.morgangold.com $260 per year flat-rate
- Lear Capital www.learcapital.com $250 per year flat-rate
- Merit Gold & Silver www.meritgold.com $250 per year flat-rate
- LEXI Capital www.lexicapital.com $200 per year flat-rate
- Birch Gold www.birchgold.com $250 per year flat-rate
- Rosland Capital www.roslandcapital.com $225 per year flat-rate
- GoldSilver www.goldsilver.com $300 per year flat-rate
To comply with IRS requirements, all IRAs, including precious metals IRAs, must be in the possession of a trustee or custodian. Therefore, legally speaking, precious metals in an IRA are in the custody of the trustee or custodian, not the IRA owner.